Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Review: Power of the Moon

Power of the Moon  (Power of the Moon, #1)Power of the Moon by Tina Carreiro

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


3.5 stars PNR, romance, full-novel, vampires, mixed-pnr

cover 4 stars

In a book store, I would look at this book and think "vampire". That is what I see when I look at the woman. It's a good cover, but not amazing to me. I wouldn't be sure about the romance part, but I would guess a new series with a new heroine.

characters 3.5 stars

Cole - I loved him. He was one of the best hero I've found in a book for a long time. He is hot! He was the good guy that had his demon really close to surface.

Mia - I don't like Mia at all. Maybe I will like her in the second book of the series ( I will read the second book), but in this one she was part-time childish and part-time a BIT**, IMO. Really a pain-in-the-ass. I believe my only good moment with Mia, It was 72% in my kindle and it lasted until 75%. This was my struggle with the book.
I know the author explained the character's emotional struggles, but for me it did not justified her being that negative of a person for so long. She was a mood killer for everything and everyone, but poor Cole that was cheated by fate. (Really when the world has mark you to mate with "Ms. congeniality" you are in a bucket of bad-fate-luck)

Secondary characters - so many good ones, Mia's mom and Gonela really my favorites.

plot 5 stars

The story POV switches the entire book between Cole an Mia. I personally like this approach and maybe this is one of the reasons that I dislike Mia so much, because the author masterfully develop her characters's thoughts, feelings and emotions.

It's a fast-paced, well written plot. The story was easy to follow and kept me guessing all the time. I was very surprise and pleased that the "bad-guy helper" wasn't whom I previously thought it would be. The intensity level was perfect, Mia's "movie quotes" were fun and at the end of the book I wanted more.

sex heat 4 stars

The author was very smart with the sexual tension of the book and with the intensity level towards the end. The elevator scene, was worth for the entire book. HOT HOT HOT!

originality 5 stars

It's new! Tina Carreiro brought a lot of unexpected things, lots of new ideas. Really enjoyed her creativity.

editing 4.5 stars

Really minors problems in my kindle edition. A few typo mistakes and the repetition of quotation marks for nothing.

Impressions and opinion

I have to say the book is really interesting, because I disliked the female character so much that if the plot wasn't amazing I would have thrown this in the not-finished pile.
Really, what should we do when we like everything about a book, BUT the main female character?

I did stop reading when I was half way into the book for a couple days, just so I could mentally stop murdering Mia for a while to get back to the book.

I'm looking forward to she second book, and I've decided to put up with Mia, only because Cole is too much for me to pass.

I recommend this book if you like mixed-pnr.


We all have scars, Mia. They are supposed to make you stronger, not paralyze you."




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment